Thursday, October 7, 2010

Start Spreading the News


People tend to be incredulous when they discover I've never been to New York.  Especially New Yorkers, right?  I assure them it's not some California vs. New York thing.  I haven't made the trip for the same reason I've never done pharmaceuticals for fun - I'm the teensiest bit worried I'd like it too much.

But - events have conspired such that, at the grand old age of 44, I'm leaving today and will wake up in that city that never sleeps.  To commemorate the trip, I mixed myself a Manhattan last night.  And after all, people have been asking me, Where can a guy get a drink around here?  Ain't this Drinks With Nick?  Where'd the drinks go ferkryingoutloud?

So - the Manhattan.  It's really the perfect cocktail - has more going on than a martini.  And there are variations, indeed, for the structure is there for you to play with.  I started with the strictures set out by my dad's fifty-year-old copy of the Old Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide.  To whit:


1 Dash Bitters 
3/4 oz. Sweet Vermouth
1 1/2 oz Old Mr. Boston Whiskey

Stir well with cracked ice and strain into 3 oz. cocktail glass.  Serve with a cherry.


For bitters, I used Peychaud's - I like the New Orleans connection, and it's sweeter than Angostura. There's no Old Mr. Boston in the cupboard, so I used Michter's Bourbon.  The cherry, of course, is Luxardo.  We've talked of this, yes?  Really, get a jar and open heaven.

Mix one tonight - while I'm airborne trying to glean a Giants' update from a stewardess.

Now if I could just find a pair of vagabond shoes...

2 comments:

  1. As my Grandpa Bob used to say, "Touch my Manhattan and you'll pull away with a bloody stump."

    Cheers -- Annie P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would've liked to have had a drink with Grandpa Bob.

    ReplyDelete