Thursday, June 20, 2013

National Martini Day and the Cali Martini


Today is National Martini Day (I wish I knew who determined these things - certainly, I would buy them a drink), and in its honor, I wanted to whip up something a little regional.  Something good.  I went first to St. George - the bay area spirits producer, not the George of dragon fame.

They've created a trio of gins, and you should try them all.  For tonight's martini, I went with #3, their Dry Rye Gin.  Yes indeed, it's all rye and wickedly good.  Is the juniper still there?  Of course - with hints of pepper.  Deliciously dry.

I don't believe a martini is a martini without vermouth - otherwise, you're drinking gin, neat.  And that's fine, but it ain't a martini.  To continue the California theme, I added my favorite vermouth, Vya - bottled in California's Central Valley.

I then went north but stayed west for the bitters - Scrappy's Aromatic Bitters from Washington state.  Put those together, add your lemon twist, and you've got a martini worthy of the Golden State - bold, crisp, but with the strong charm of a Hollywood character actor.

So celebrate National Martini Day, June 19th, 2013 - and enjoy the...

MARTINI CALI:

2 oz. St. George Dry Rye Gin
.5 oz. Vya Extra Dry Vermouth
1 dash Scrappy's Aromatic Bitters


Stir with ice.  Strain into chilled martini glass.  Add bitters and garnish with a lemon twist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment